Yes, I’ve got a giveaway, but first my rant 🙂

I’ve been a lover of Disney from way back in the day. I even did a stint as a “Wardrobe Tech” at Disneyland itself, and loved every minute that I was on the job. So it is with a heavy heart that I tell you: I’m not impressed with the new movie, “The Princess and the Frog.”

As an African American woman, I wanted to jump for joy when I heard that they were promoting their first black princess. It was all my girlfriends and I could talk about. And Disney certainly did their best to let us ALL know how cool and great they were by celebrating cultural diversity. But now that the movie is out, I’m extremely disappointed that the black princess spends hardly anytime at all in fact BEING a Princess. Don’t worry; I’ll try to make my point without ruining the movie for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m disappointed that it’s not Disney’s best animation efforts. I’m upset that they placed it so far in the past. And, in my ultimate act of cynicism, I feel that Disney purposefully made the film look “older” so that when stacked up against their other movies, it looks like they were “progressive” enough to feature a black Princess years ago, when they really weren’t. Conspiracy theorist, you call me? Then I guess I’ll take that badge for now. I ran my theory past my mother in law and since she didn’t kick me out the family, I must not bet THAT crazy, yet.

I want to make sure to get other people’s opinions on this though, so if you live in the Twin Cites and would like to go to the movie with your little one, or even with a girlfriend if you feel so inclined, please leave me a comment including your e-mail address and I’ll send you a pass to see Disney’s “The Princess and the Frog” good for any AMC Theater in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

I’m looking forward to someone restoring my faith in Disney. Please, someone help me feel more like a Princess and less of a Frog. Ribbit, ribbit, ya’ll.

Uncategorized

1. We saw the movie this weekend and my 3 1/2 year old daughter LOVED it. She has been prancing around the house pretending to be Princess Tiana for days (not the frog). She's also been singing Almost There and is still worried about little Ray. For me, I didn't think it had the same pizazz as past Disney princess movies. The story wasn't as rich, the characters weren't as developed, and the villain was too scary for the target audience. All the princess movies are set in the past so that didn't bother me. I see your point about the first African American Disney Princess being a frog for most of the movie. They would have done well to pick a different fairy tale. However, since I'm not African American, I can't say I noticed that until you pointed it out. Personally, my goal was to take my daughter to her first Disney princess movie. She was every bit as fascinated with it as I was when I saw Cinderella.

2. I am looking forward to taking my three little Princesses to this. I'll let you know what I think. Interesting take on the 'old' style animation to it. Maybe they're trying to wash 'Song of the South' off of their hands.

3. I look forward to seeing this. I have to say that none of the Disney movies have been particularly historically correct (remember Pocohantas? Horrible mess up of history) so I wasn't expecting anything where that is concerned. I can understand your desire to see her more as a princess though. I really want to see this so I can have more of an opinion 🙂 Thanks for the honest review – it is awesome to hear something besides "I LOVED IT" you know?

4. You open my eyes to another opinion of this movie, I actually watched it this weekend and left a quick blurb about it on my blog today. I didn't pay attention to the facts you laid out but see now after reading what you wrote, that you do have some points.I am not sure what Disney was trying to do with this, but you are right they make it look like Tiana is the princess, when in all reality she is not. I remember at one point the Realtor dude saying something about a "girl from your background" and it just stuck out at me.I did like the moral I took away from it which I put on my blog today. Thank you for opening my eyes a bit to another opinion!

5. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I cannot comment. Even though I love Disney Pixar movies, I also like the look of the regular Walt Disney Studios films.Thanks for taking the time to share your views! 🙂

6. Good points but I guess when I saw it, I wasn't really looking for or at these things. My husband and I took my (almost) 4 year old daughter to see this and she LOVED it. We did too and we've been anticipating this princess movie for a long time. Your post did make me think though. Very well done.

7. I haven't seen the movie yet but can't wait! I am shocked to see that she isn't a princess for long. Perhaps this will open doors and show that we need more diversity!

8. OMG Girl I feel Ya! I was princess and the frog Crazy! Went out and bought all the stuff for My daughter THENNNNN I seen the movie..NOT WHAT WE WERE EXPECTING!! But she liked it so I guess I am ok LOL