As a long time Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan, of course I’ve dreamed of fighting Dragons and warding off alien invaders. In my head, I’m an awesome warrior princess, like Xena, but with cuter shoes. In Fantasyland, I’m an expert marksman, a master swordsman, and fluent in the Martial Arts. I’m one bad momma.

But in real life I’m having trouble overcoming my own inner struggles. How am I to defeat hordes of demons, if I can’t even defeat my inner demons long enough to train for a Marathon?
And it’s not even the full Marathon. It’s just a Half Marathon, part of the Team Ortho Minneapolis Marathon happening June 6th, 2010. When I registered for it last year, it seemed like a great idea. Something exercise related that I could train for in my own time, around my busy work and family schedule. It seemed like an accomplishment that I could be proud of. Something I could knock off my “Bucket List.” It seemed like a LONG time away.
It’s not. “104 days, until the Start!” Yesterday when I checked the website for the Minneapolis Marathon, that’s what I saw. And panic started to set in.
I thought by now, I’d like running more, but it’s still a drag. It’s been really hard for me to motivate myself to hit the treadmill. Last week was the first time, since signing up for the race, that I didn’t run at all. I thought about going. I PLANNED on going, but then when the time came, I never did it. I let the excuses stack up: I’ve been busy at work. Had lots of comedy shows. Needed to spend more time with my husband and toddler. I was tired. It’s been too cold. Blah. Blah Blah.
This week, I’m going to get myself back on track. I’m committing to logging at least 12 miles this week. Plus I’m going to continue my cross-training with my Kettleworx and weight training at least 2 days this week. I also asked some friends who run a lot more than I do for some tips on beating the treadmill boredom, so I’m going to try their suggestions and really work on my attitude about running. As additional motivation, I taped my Registration Confirmation card to my screen at work, to help keep training top of mind.
My diet has been a little carb heavy lately, so I’m switching it around to include more protein and upping my hydration goals to at least 80 ounces of water a day.
I’m sure Xena could run a marathon, so I’m determined to finish this race. I got to be in shape if I’m going to protect my kingdom, evil hordes have a lot of energy. If you hear the yell of a Warrior Princess coming from the treadmills, it’s probably me.
fitness, mamavation, Marathon, Minneapolis, Miss Shannan, mom, mommy

1. Good luck. You don't want to jump into a 1/2. Are you following a training program? Have you considered the Galloway (run/walk) method if you are having a hard time running non-stop? I wish you the best sticking with your training.

2. Thanks for your comment. I have a training schedule and the organizers have a number of training groups set up. I just have to follow through on it.Thanks again

3. I am a big fan of the Galloway method that Kia is suggesting. I completed a marathon that way and did really well. Good Luck!

4. I'll definitely check it out. I can use all the help I can get.

5. You can do it! Keep training 3 months is enough time, especially since you've been running consistently.

6. You can do it! Just get back on track ~ taping your confirmation card to your computer is an awesome idea.

7. Good luck girl you can do this! You're brave for doing 1/2 too!

8. Good Luck to you and your goal! You will gt there is you keep at it and keep trying! I ♥ how you taped the reminder to your computer screen!! Check out some new mixes of music to get you pumping….that always works for me! keep it up!

9. I've heard that 3 months is plenty of time. Just bite off small pieces one at a time. Don't look at the overwhelming goal, just the pieces, and the anxiety will get better. I know you can do it. I'm always amazed at what the human body can do. XXOO

10. Lots of luck….I think you checking out how long you have and knowing you need to get training more will keep you motivated to do what you need to do!

11. Hahahaha!!! I'm listening for that yell! I know you can do the 1/2 marathon. If my 200 lb self can walk it, I know your fab self can run it, I just know it!Do you only do treadmill running or outside, too? It's so much better outside, less boring! Good luck on your training!!!

12. Thanks Kim,Right now I'm just on the treadmill becasue it's been so damn cold in MN. But I agree I would like it better outside. I'm might have to suck in up and get some cold weather running gear. Thanks again

13. You have come so far. Don't let your goal overwhelm you. I know it gets mundane (sp?) when working out in the house when weather doesn't let us enjoy the outdoors. It can definitely change your moods. I wish you the best on your run! You are doing really great, keep it up!

14. Wow. A half marathon. Wow. I'm totally in awe of that. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice for training. Not that I know anything about running. But I will say that I am cheering you on 100%! You can do it!

15. I'm looking forward to hearing that Warrior Yell! I love running on the treadmill, but only because I have my MP3 player with me. Can you find some great workout music to run to? I also want to do a half marathon this year, but have yet to find one that works with my schedule. I may end up doing my own just for giggles and snorts. Good luck! I know you can do it! Just do it! 🙂

16. What a great goal! Sounds like you have pleanty of time and I can't wait to see how it goes for you. Wishing you well in your training!